Wednesday 11 June 2014

Books You Struggled to Finish | Top 5 Wednesday

1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


I'm currently reading Ender's Game and I'm having such a hard time getting through it. I picked it up a few months ago and was breezing through it, but put it down to read other things. Now that I'm trying to get through it again, I find that I'm not enjoying the technical descriptions that pervade the story.

2. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan


I really liked the first half of this book, but I don't enjoy the way the story is progressing - it just doesn't interest me. I put it down for a few months to see if it would engage me when I was in a different mood, but it looks like I'm not gonna finish this one for a while.

3. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells


I did finish this book a couple of years ago, but I struggled through it. I found the writing quite dry and I was bored through much of the story, so I had to force myself to finish it.

4. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski


Okay, I think it's acceptable that this one's on my list. House of Leaves is very strange - in a good way, I think. It's also massive. I'm quite enjoying this, but it makes it onto my list because of the sheer amount of time it's taking me to get through it.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


To be honest, I don't know why I've never been able to finish this story. I really like the storyline, the characters, and the writing style. Perhaps it's because both times I tried to read it, it involved school; you know how it is - the readings pile up and you have to move onto another book eventually!

What book(s) have you struggled to finish?

No comments:

Post a Comment